A non-profit organization, Sanjeevani … Life Beyond Cancer, is an award-winning registered Public Trust devoted to enriching the lives of cancer patients and raising the bar of cancer care in India. Recognizing the innovative interventions and impact created by our team's various juries have conferred the awards for “BEST NGO FOR 2020-21” on us.
- Ruby Ahluwalia, a serving senior bureaucrat, was diagnosed with Triple Negative (Stage 3) Breast Cancer in 2009.
- The emotional and physical pain, as well as the financial stress of battling cancer, prompted Ruby to begin a new chapter in her own Life - Beyond Cancer.
- She set up Sanjeevani… Life Beyond Cancer in 2012, with the aim to make the journey of cancer for underprivileged patients and their families less strenuous, thus enabling them to complete their treatment and live as productive members of society thereafter.
Sanjeevani works predominantly with underprivileged patients and the programs offered by them are
free of cost.
Sanjeevani started with just one Caregiver, helping patients at Tata Memorial Hospital, in 2012, and was able to handhold over 500 patients that year.
As Ruby says, “We navigate communities and patients for the full spectrum from awareness, prevention, despair to rehabilitation, and thus I think of Sanjeevani as a nation builder and not just an NGO.”
Here's our Founder, Ruby Ahluwalia speaking about the importance of psycho-social support in cancer care.
Core areas addressed by Sanjeevani … Life Beyond Cancer
Sanjeevani…Life Beyond Cancer is a pioneer in the field of comprehensive cancer care and works in the core areas of Health, Skill Development, Education, Rehabilitation of Cancer patients and their caregivers in addition to creating Awareness through its programs designed for
- Physical, psychological, and financial rehabilitation of cancer patients
- Skilling cancer survivors to become trained professional cancer caregivers, and
- Creating awareness of a healthy lifestyle, prevention, and early detection of cancer.
Inspired by Ruby’s vision and commitment to the cause and the guidance of a vibrant Board of Mentors, Sanjeevani … Life Beyond Cancer has had a phenomenal growth trajectory since its inception.
- Sanjeevani currently Operates in 13 Indian states (23 Super specialty hospitals).
- Has a core team of over 40 caregivers, 30 Faculty, over 100 interns, and over 100 volunteers.
- Have enriched the lives of over 5,00,000 patients in the last 10 years of inception (over 1,50,000 in 2021-22 alone)
CanSahyogi - Providing psycho-social support to cancer patients
- The teams (mix of counselors and trained cancer survivors) placed in super specialty cancer hospitals help navigate patients through the numerous fronts that open up during their journey with cancer and its onerous treatment.
- Post COVID 19 handholding and counseling were made available over call too.
Satori - A Holistic Wellness initiative for patients
- Focusing on the holistic well-being of patients, the intervention is designed to improve physical and mental strengths, thus improving their immunity and quality of life and hopefully reducing the chances of recurrence of the disease.
- Post-COVID 19, the program is also offered online.
CanSaarthi - Skill development program
- This 4-month Certificate Course in Onco Caregiving is targeted to train cancer survivors (or those touched with cancer in the family) to become trained caregivers.
- Besides raising the bar of cancer care this helps in opening up possible opportunities for employment for them.
- Post-COVID 19, the program has been migrated to phi-gital format.
Can-Chetna- A Mass Awareness Initiative
- These are Mass Contact Programs to create awareness about a Healthy Lifestyle to build immunity and thus avoid the incidence of Cancer.
- The dedicated teams in main cities hold awareness programs to motivate and encourage people to learn and talk about cancer, its symptoms, debilitating effects, and also healthy lifestyles that can be adopted. The programs also stress upon the need for regular self-screening thus leading to early detection.
- Post COVID 19, the program is also offered in phi-gital format.
Can Ahaar – Nutritional Supplement Program for underprivileged cancer patients
- To help patients meet their nutritional needs by providing them with essential nutrition boxes is the sole objective of this program.
- The Nutritional Supplement Box provided under the CanAhaar Program is a specially crafted one containing mixed nuts, Jaggery, puffed rice, chikki, turmeric, and spices (cinnamon, clove, peppercorns) to meet the nutritional needs of patients.
Can Vaarta – Conversations around cancer
- Advocacy & Awareness programs with Policy makers and communities